Monday, November 30, 2009

My hair :(

I AM LOSING ALL MY HAIR!!! CALLING ROGAINE...

Since I had Landon ALL of my hair keeps falling out left and right. Seriously my hair is everywhere. My bathroom, on my clothes, all over the house, in my car, on Landon, you name it my hair has taken residence there. Many people I know have told me after being pregnant that your hair will fall out for a while. So I knew that this was going to happen but I didn't think that it would be this bad. You guys, it is really really bad. When I wash my hair in the shower I can pull gobbs of hair out. It really scares me that I am going to be bald one day.

After dealing with it for a while and getting a little scared that I am going to wake up with no hair one day I decided to do a little research. Here is what I found at http://www.babycenter.com

All new moms experience hair loss, though some lose more than others. (Of course I am the one to lose the most)

Here's why it happens. During pregnancy, changes in your hormone levels cause your hair to stay in a resting phase for longer, so you lose less hair on a daily basis. (You may have noticed that your hair seemed thicker than usual.) (Loved it when my hair grew like a weed, was nice and shinny, and thick! But I guess there is consquence to everything -right-)

After you've given birth and your hormones have settled down — usually at about 12 weeks after delivery — more hair shifts into a shedding phase. You may be alarmed to find hair coming out by the handful. (I knew that hormones had something to do with it. They were also right about the 12 weeks. Right as I went back to work is when it all started happening. At least they got the handfuls part right.)

Normally, you lose about 100 to 125 hairs a day, but after delivery, you may be losing about 500 a day. This can be very disturbing, but try not to worry too much — you won't go bald! (500 a day? What are they thinking? Your telling a post partum mom that they are going to lose 500 strains of hair a day. Then they follow up with "you won't go bald", that makes ya feel better. I have been losing hair for about 3 months now so that adds up to 45,000 strains of hair that I have lost so far. People it doesn't go back over night. I'm SCARED.)

There's little you can do about the shedding, other than to be patient. The shedding tends to be most noticeable when you're shampooing or brushing your hair, so you may find that shampooing less frequently or letting your hair dry naturally instead of brushing and blow-drying helps slow the loss. (Patience -huh-. I guess that I am going to have to work on my patience because I have very little right now.)

On the other hand, it's going to fall out at some point, and you might prefer that it happen in private. Regular washing and brushing may help you avoid leaving a trail of shedding hair behind you all day. Try using a thickening shampoo if you feel your locks are getting too thin.You may notice fine "baby" hair growing along your hairline at the top of your forehead once the shedding phase has ended. Having bangs can do a lot to camouflage this wispy new growth while it's growing out. (Yes, I looked at my forehead line and I have two bald spots one on each side of my head with baby fine hair going back. Luckliy my other hair hides it.)

Within another six months or so, your hair should be back to its normal pre-pregnancy thickness, but you may find that the texture of your hair is never exactly the same. It may be wavier or straighter or more dry or oily than it was before pregnancy. This is probably due to the hormonal upheaval you've just been through. (Six month of losing hair and growing it back is a freaking long time. Well, if I go off the 12 week thing I am about half way through my hair lose ordeal. I don't think that I have much more hair left to lose so hopefully it will stop soon but I don't think it is going to.)

If the hair loss doesn't seem to be slowing and you're still losing lots of hair six or so months after delivery, check in with a dermatologist or your healthcare provider. It may be a sign that you're low on iron, which is not entirely uncommon for new moms. (Hopefully it won't get to this)

Anyways it is driving me crazy and I am really sad to see my thick hair be gone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm up there on the extreme end of hair loss after pregnancy. I was always bitter :-) 'cause my hair doesn't get any better, shinier, pretty, thicker, etc during pregnancy -- but afterwards I lose better than a third of it. Not even exaggerating. I had a hair dressed tell me he'd never seen so much new hair growth on someone who hadn't had chemo.
    The good news -- it does come back. And the regrowth period wasn't as weird or awkward as I'd feared. My hair has never actually grown in this quickly before, so it filled in faster than I'd expected.
    I'm with you though -- I knew it was a 'side effect', but was completely SHOCKED by the amount of hair I lost once it started. Handfuls in every shower, clogged drains, my beddings, house, carpet, etc, always covered in hair. Fortunately for the rest of womankind, I think that kinda loss is rare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected my hair to come out sooner than it did after I had Cam. I didn't lose a bunch, but enough! I am thankful I have thick hair. It made me chop mine off too. You should too. Donate yours : ) (don't think I don't LOVE your hair, its gorgeous.)

    ReplyDelete