Friday, October 30, 2009

New Obsession


You’re probably thinking a freezer full of food, huh.


It all started earlier this year when my parents and us, being Jon and I decided to buy a whole pig and split it. It actually took a while to get it because it was a little piglet when we bought it and it had to grow up. We bought the pig from a guy that my dad works with so my dad would always come home and give us updates on how the pig is doing. My dad and Jon thought that we really needed to name this little piglet and pay it a few visits during its life. They always suggested that Wilbert would be a good fit, how dare them. All I could think about was the cute little pig on Charlotte’s Web named Wilbert. However, my mom and I have very soft hearts and couldn’t even think twice about naming this little piglet let alone paying it visits. Even though they are dirty and stinky little things it is still sad to think that it’s life is going to come to a short end so we can eat it. :( With that said a couple weeks ago our pig was finally ready for us to pick up. We got about 180 lbs worth of meat. All the white packages in the freezer is the pig. We were able to get lots of bacon, sausage, pork chops, pork roast, steak hams, butt hams, and hucks for yummy lima bean soup. Ummmmmmm doesn’t that sound good.

Next my mom and I decided to purchase 40 lbs of chicken. Macey’s was having a case lot sale and they had 40 lb boxes of chicken for 1.49 a lb. It was a pretty good deal and I couldn’t pass it up. The past couple of years my mom has bought the boxes of chicken but this year I finally decided that it was a good investment. Why is it such a good investment for us? Well, Jon loves to eat chicken. I have never seen anyone that loves chicken like he does. I at least fix some type of chicken every other night. So the brown box’s in the freezer is the chicken. One box for them and one box for us.

My other adventures are trips to Costco and sadly enough Wal-Mart. Every time I go to the store I have this urge the whole time that I have to buy double of everything. Which, yes I have been doing. It doesn’t matter what it is I still grab double. For the longest time I didn’t realize that I was doing this until one day when I was thinking about food storage. I thought to myself that I have a little stock pile of food storage going on right now. Probably not the right kind of food storage for an emergency but it is still food.

I was explaining my new obsession to my mom the other day and she just smiled and laughed. She said “I think that you are being a typical mother and are feeling the urge that you need to make sure that your family is set”. Once she stated this I knew she was right. Every time that I buy in bulk it makes me feel good knowing that we have a stock of it.

I think that it is so funny how I have changed since I have become a mom. This is just one of many things that I have noticed. I will post others later that I have noticed and is frankly just driving me nuts.

My next bulk obsession is making some homemade Salsa!!! And YES I will drag my mom into this too. I guess I feel that they need to stock up too.

P.S. I am still pretty upset about my post getting deleted yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. That is a lot of pig. How come you never told me. I don't see you enough, so when I do, I need these fun little details about you. I miss you...
    It is funny to see changes in you when you become a mom. I will tell you one of mine next time I see you. Lunch? Pick a day!
    Food storage is great. And necessary. I can give you a magnet list thingy I have. It's a week by week ideas for the year. Did I already give you one????
    I will email you a really good blog I found on food storage. I envy this girl. You have the room for it, so you could do it easily. Jon is handy and can build you a space.

    ReplyDelete